Monday, October 6, 2008

moments to love a grandpa most.

today is sebmarine (my lovely grandfathers) birthday.  he is eighty something. eighty six maybe? either way, it doesnt matter. he doesnt look a day over seventy. he doesnt act a day over 13. i am not kidding about this, either.

as some of you may know, my stand-in-boyfriend/best friend's name is george. george burns, to be exact.

this morning, george sent an email to sebmarine. wishing him a happy birthday. such a sweet gesture that i knew KNEW knew seb would love. i came home from school, ran downstairs to smoother my lovable grandfather with birthday kisses, and i asked him if he got his email from a special person.

"well, allstate wished me a happy birthday!" he said. so proudly. with a huge smile on my face. as if his face and smile were saying, allstate and i are best friends! imagine that! i continued. asking him if he got an email from his best pal. 

(sidenote: his real best pal of over fifty years, uncle courtney as all knew him, died this past summer. part of my grandpa's laughter died with the passing of his childhood best friend. the night he passed, was the night of george's 25th birthday. when i was leaving to spoil my childhood best friend with birthday happiness, my grandpa stopped me, in tears, and told me how lucky i was to have such a caring and wonderful friend. "after all those years, you remain loyal to him and you two never stop laughing. dont ever stop laughing with him," were his words. i remember looking at him, the man who never cries, crying like a baby in front of me. unsure what to say, through his sobs he said "tell george i need a new best pal, i mean, i know he's yours, but i need someone to never stop laughing with").

so when i asked gramps about receiving an email from his best friend, he looked puzzled. i gave him a hint. "it would come from a george burns...." immediately his face lit up. he started laughing. tears streaming down his face. "OH!!! THAT GEORGE BURNS! I THOUGHT THE DEAD ACTOR GEORGE BURNS WISHED ME A HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SO I SAID THANK YOU IN REPLY!!!". never have i laughed so much. he is a special treat. i wish everyone had grandpa's like mine.

2 comments:

Stef said...

This made me laugh!!!! I want to meet your grandpa!!!!

dawnoftheday said...

oh my , I seriously just laughed out loud....this made my day and has brought such a smile to my heart. I lvoe your grandpa so much and pelase wish him a happy belated for me!!