Wednesday, June 17, 2009

i work with old people, and this being said, they are some of my favorite people out there.

just the other day, i left my office and was walking to the subway. as i was walking, i saw one of my favorite little mister's walking towards me. we stopped, and as always, his face lit up, he gave me a kiss on each cheek and kept saying 'IT'S SO GOOD TO SEE YOU!'. just his energy and zest always makes me happy. no matter what's going on in his life or health, when he sees shea or myself, he lights up. as we were getting ready to go about our ways, he took out his wallet, and showed me a photo he carries around of shea and i in his wallet.
the only photo in his wallet.
right there, front and center.
us.
he said he kisses it every morning, and everytime he takes out his wallet, because 'you two are good girls! my girls!' (said in a thick greek accent). my heart burst. to know that some people can truly care and love you, and take you into their heart and call you their family.

this job. these people. some of the sweetest. they are little rare jems with grey hair, walkers, wheelchairs, dentures and hearts of gold who have in so many ways, touched my heart, personally and professionally, and welcomed me into their lives, family, homes and soul. forever grateful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so you already told me this story, but i just got goosebumps and my eyes welled up. COOKLA!!! :)