Monday, August 25, 2008

for my exercise savvy friends:

as many of you know, i am quite in love with exercise, staying fit and eating healthy (but understanding that my body does need to indulge in carbs, CHEESE, pasta, beer and white bread here and there). sadly though, this summer, my whole exercise routine was out the window. i used to work a 9 to 5 corporate job, where i was at the gym at 6am... rain, shine, snow, hail, hungover... what have you - i was there. i was in the best shape of my life! then came my retail job, where hours were crazy. i have gained weight, more then i would have liked, but im dealing with it. i understand the consequences of my actions. overnights and working all over the island and manhattan is not sitting well with my healthy lifestyle. working behind a desk, i had a control over my body - what i put in it and how i worked it. working in retail, it's hard to walk past auntie anne's and not crave carbs. working an overnight in the city, it's so easy to slurp down a redbull to give you that energy (what i once used to get from my 6am workouts) and make a stop at starbucks to slurp down even more sugar and calories, and purchase a really, carb induced muffin.

as my time slows down with gap, and my body settles back into a 9-5 job, i am prepping my body for it's time to be fit again. i am a strong strong strong advocate of my gym, new york sports club. ive been to bally's, lucille roberts, synergy... but nysc tops them all. yes, it's pricey, but it's where i have had the best results, and the most fun. i think their staff is great, their equipment is up to date, they are so clean you can shower there barefoot (sadly this is a true story and obviously has been done before by me), and their classes are INTENSE. their yoga classes (hatha yoga is great for breathing exercises and club yoga is good for a work-out yoga) are (dare i say) better then some of the classes i take at dahn yoga.

so, tonight, (this is really the main point of this long, rambling blog) i decided to go to total body conditioning. okay, by the name, i thought i was going to be doing your basic sit-ups, lunges, stretches... you know, the basics. perfect for a girl whose just gettin back into the swing of things after taking a week long break from the gym, to indulge in those carbs she loves! um. let's discuss. total body conditioning was a lifting boot-camp. i am not at all complaining, but i hurt. a lot. for those familiar with the intense spinning class... this is so much worse than that. just remember the first time you went spinning, and how your whole body felt like jelly and you werent able to walk for a good hour or so. imagine that but multiply it by 5. that is what total body conditioning feels like. let's put it simple: i did over 25 push ups (what!!!), lifted my face off, did moves i think only football players should do, did three different forms of lunges and squats, and um, did more lifting. and anytime i tried to pick up a lighter weight, the trainer said "no no no" forcing me to struggle. once again: not at all complaining, it's great to push yourself when you know you can, but not okay when it's going to hurt yourself.

but man, i hurt. the good hurt. the hurt where you know you wont eat that bagel tomorrow and the hurt that will bring you back to the same class in two days, and do it all over. it was hell. it was torture. i thought i was going to pass out and throw up about 23 times. but it was great. check it out. i know those of you reading are members at nysc (or you soon will be, hi shea!). you may hate me for going, but youll love it at the same time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahah I know, I know... I need to join! I really want to also... it's just a matter of when.