Saturday, April 26, 2008

literature & libations: may 2008 selection

michelle and i decided to form a book club. this is what coming from a family of writers, readers, artists, english teachers, and home-bodies does to you, apparently. and this is what happens when two literature snob's come together and form a friendship. our first book was one of my choices, in which michelle very willingly agreed to. (thank the heavens).



"Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta.

She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita."

those words. beautiful. already in love. and! more beautiful. english is not vladimir nabokov's first, or even second language. wow.

No comments: