Wednesday, September 10, 2008

catherine sheridan senior housing

the past three days have been such a whirlwind of new experiences. my new job, thus far, is the most beautiful and heartfelt experience i have ever had. i cant even put into words or thought what this job has bought me so far, and it literally is the third day.

there is something so dear and so beautiful about being there for people. especially the elderly. i can understand people who need assistance, but my elderly friends dont need assistance. they dont want or need anything, to be honest. they are content with sitting in their chair and observing. they are used to sitting in quiet and being alone. but having another presence there with them, that is what makes them smile and live. and for me, my job is to be that other presence. to make my presence be a present (pun intended). even if it's just a simple 'good morning', it's a message they don't hear enough, and it's a message that makes their day so much more beautiful.

shea and i had a lemonade party today, and it was unreal. the turnout was generous, and the individuals involved were so grateful for us to be there. the hugs and the words we here on a daily basis are the most rewarding words. i am so blessed to have the opportunity to finally give back all the good that was given to me in my life. many people my age think i am crazy for working with senior citizens, but they are some of the most intelligent and sweetest people i have met through my lifetime. and i have met my fair share of seniors, being raised by my grandparents.

my 5:30 a.m. wake up call has been worth it. the two hours in traffic, worth it. i work with such a beautiful, intelligent friend and work with individuals who don't take a single second for granted. i am in love. with life.

No comments: